SUMMER 2018 STEM AND THE ARTS
To see more photos and detail of this program,
just click this Summer STEM Logo below:
Claysburg STEM AND Arts - July 2018
Claysburg STEM AND Arts - August 2018
Our goal is simple:
To help create learning success stories,
one student at a time.
Since we formed in 2014, the Foundation has striven to become a "Learning Center" helping students fulfill their educational potential needs. Initially we did this through STEM programs with personalized instruction working hand-in-hand with the students and their classroom teachers for the most efficient learning.
Overall since 2014 we have promoted a Career Day, covered the expenses of teachers to learn about STEM through professional growth, purchased technology equipment for the Claysburg-Kimmel School District, promoted the Arts through an art show and musical program, supplied money for teachers for Venture grants, sponsored field trips, supported reading competition programs for Bedford County, supported the CK Backpack program, worked with Catalyst Space for a STEM field trip program and worked with the FBLA students on their Veteran's project and more recently their Celebrating Seniors "Random Acts of Kindness" project to name a few.
The Foundation has collaborated with the foundations at all surrounding schools in Blair and Bedford County as well as the Intermediate Unit 8 to further satisfy the growing needs of today's students.
For the past several years we held a twelve day Summer STEM and the Arts session in Claysburg. This past year in 2018 80% of the students were from the Claysburg area, and the remaining 20% came from nine other school districts. We employed 10 teachers of which seven were from Claysburg and three from other school districts. It was a big success. There are some STEM and Arts photos below with full Information about it on the STEM and Arts web page. This coming year Claysburg-Kimmel will be taking the reins operating it in conjunction with the parent's group. The Foundation will continue to finance the project.
Our commitments for 2018 to Claysburg-Kimmel School District totaled over $162,000 plus an additional $40,000 committed for early 2019. A major portion of expenditures were for "Project Lead the Way" and to fund many of the I-Pads! Claysburg-Kimmel is now an Apple education school with one-on-one I-Pads for each student. Additional monies were expended for Inventionland, teacher Venture Grants, Math programs and a variety of other items. Details are on our Financial page. We are already seeing positive results.
Going forward into 2019, the Foundation is financially poised to continue supporting the Claysburg-Kimmel School District. This is mainly due to the generosity of our local businesses contributing through PA EITC tax credits. We encourage you to talk to us about these opportunities to help the Foundation and school district. This year we will also be working with individuals and couples on PA EITC tax credits.
In addition to the continued focus on STEM and the Arts, the Foundation will be expanding its role with funding for Leadership, Clubs, Student and Community Projects that will focus on working with the entrepreneurial aspect of student leadership. We have provided funding for Rachel's Challenge for the school district as well as a Technology Grant for Video and Editing Technology. Rachel's Challenge will be held in early 2019 with more information coming shortly from the school district.
Additionally the Foundation and Claysburg-Kimmel School District have met with and cemented a relationship with Penn State University going forward in several potential areas of leadership during the current school year and also with a summer program.
Join us, assist us, support us with your time, talents and finances as we continue to work with the Claysburg-Kimmel School District on making it a progressive, technology driven school.
Claysburg STEM AND Arts - June 2018
Whether you help through monetary donations, volunteering your time, or spreading our mission through word-of-mouth, thank you. We couldn't accomplish our goals without the help of supporters like you.
HOW WE'RE HELPING
We are a community-based organization focused on helping make the world around us a better, happier place. With the help of our tireless staff, we organize fundraisers, exciting community-building events and in-depth training sessions for our kids and the community.
Photo courtesy of Altoona Mirror. Published on page #1 - Tuesday, July 10, 2018 Altoona Mirror
Are you passionate about what we are doing? Let us know! We are always looking for volunteers to help us make our vision a reality. We'll help you find a way to volunteer that best suits you. We're excited to have you join the team!